Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A Years Supply of Food

I grew up in a family that made monthly COSTCO trips, stocking up on flats of tomato soup, pie filling, bags of flour, sugar & powered milk. When we got home, we whipped out the black jiffy markers and labeled the food in a month/year format. Although Im not certain the food was actually put into a LIFO rotation (last in first out), it was an activity we did with glee.

Today I am married to a man, who-much like my father, LOVES his food storage. Only, we live in a 600 sq ft apartment, as opposed to the 10,000 sq ft pink monstrosity where I grew up. As such, my dear seany sean has become very creative in his venue for his food storage. While I took ownership of our little walkin closet immediatly upon move in to house my necessities, Sean has made his claim on the real estate located beneath our bed (which incedentialyis housed on cement blocks to increase the area available for this storage). He has wheat, oats, honey, peanut butter and boxes upon boxes of triple chunk brownie mix under our bed. When I am baking, and I run out of an ingrediant of sort, he comes proudly to the rescue with a brand new costco size box of quaker oats. He does this with a smug grin that says, "ha! Looks whos laughing now, of ye of little faith!".

Not only does Sean monopolize the underneath part of our queen sized bed, he also maintains a vast supply at his parents house. In total he has about 50 hugh plastic contains of wheat, honey & powdered milk, amoung other supplies which I cannot disclose in this blog. He purchased these goods at the vipe age of 22- right off his mission and at the peak of his righeousness. His Mom, who is probably the sweetest lady i know.. has allowed him to house his storage in her various basements, guest rooms and under their own bed for many years. Most recently, the home of sean's supply has been the fmaily cabin in utah. Thankfully, we just sold it---- which meant we had to make a SEPERATE trip to Utah for the sole purpose of transporting this food supply from the cabin to his parents new basement in Saratoga Springs. The ironic part about this is that Sean &I will probably never partake of this food storage, as we plan never to live in Utah. Although, Im sure Sean's family will be living fat and happy in times of famine or natural distastor.

Finally, I write to tell you about my own little guilty food storage pleasure-- my 3 months supply of low sugar quaker instant oatmeal in peaches & cream, Strawberries & cream, and maple. I love this stuff- I eat it for breakfast & my 10:30 & 3pm workday snacks. However, at $5 a box, it breaks the bank to buy the stuff. I've tried the generic stuff, and it just doesnt do the trick. I've found that Safeway has periodic sales on the stuff, at which time, it retails for $2.49--- a total steal. I often find my self making periodic trips into safeway witht he sole purpose of checking out the breakfast cereal section to see if my beloved oatmeal is on sale. As the sale only happens a few times a year.... I stock UP!! In fact, at my last visit, I purchased every box they had out on the shelf- approximatly $100USD. Laugh if you may, but this is my bread and butter. Im not sure I could make it through the workday without my oats. Anyhoooo--- as I mentioned earlier, I live in a 600 sq ft apartment which is already full of seans food supply and my growing wardrobe- thus, the home of my oatmeal resides in the trunck of my little white jetta, betty. So beware friends and foes- because if i ever pick you up at the airport, you'll probably have to hold your suitcase on your lap :)

Sorry for the laspe in blogging--- Its busy season at work and I am swamped!

XOXO

Eve

4 comments:

iris said...

You know you are insane right? INSANE!!!

Should I remain in NYC and decide to come and visit you, then remind me to pack light.

I WANT HAWAII!!!

Patience said...

evey-

that oatmeal is expensive. I want to stockpile it too. Let me know next time there is a sale yo.

I will get the hawaii pics to you asap. I know, I'm lame.

xoxo
poops

Betina said...

I stock pile cereal at the quarterly cereal sales where it's sold for $1.68 a box. Yesterday I bought 20 boxes which should last my family till the next sale in January.

It's a Payne thing.

serinda said...

wow, you must be really regular. That is a lot of oatmeal for one person.