Monday, September 11, 2006

Hawaii - Aug 8-14 – Oahu baby!


Day 1 (Tuesday)
We arrived at the Honolulu airport around 11am, just in time to pick up Patience who flew in from Washington. This was the first time I’d seen Patience since my wedding! It seems like forever ago! Patience had a LOT of stuff- a lot of HEAVY stuff… for such a small person, she sure did pack a heavy load. We met seamy-Sean at the rental car place & hit the road. Mind you, business in Hawaii is not run as efficiently as it is in the US, so it actually took us close to an hour at the rental place to get our car. Sean was not a happy camper. We are both lacking the virtue of Patience…. Thus it is a really great thing I have her as a sister! Oh- the other good thing- we paid for a compact and got a full size V6 Malibu with a sunroof! Sweetness. Rule #1- Always book a Compact. Car lots don’t usually carry very many of them, so the chances that you will be upgraded to a mid size are high.

We checked into our hotel- the OUTRIGGER Waikiki--the one with Duke’s! This is where Sean and I had our last meal on our honeymoon. Ohhhhh….. young love. Anyhow, our room was huge! And the balcony doors actually opened, unlike most hotels on the mainland (or maybe that’s just Vegas).

Patience unpacked one of her many suitcases, and unveiled gifts from Thailand. A silk elephant tie for Sean, a 2” silver cuff for eve, and plenty of dried mangos for all. Next we put on our swimsuits and hit the beach. Ohhh… how I love sunbathing. Well, actually, now that I am 25, I cake on the SPF 30 (45 for my face), and I really don’t get any color. We tested out the water for the first time--just as I thought, warm and tropical. I really cannot stand the ocean unless it is in tropical waters. Otherwise it is just too cold, salty & reeks of fish. Yuck.

In the evening we hit up the Wal-Mart and stocked up on essential supplies for the week including Breakfast Cereal & Milk, Animal Crackers, Beach Towels, Snorkel Gear & diet cokes. Let the fun begin!

We headed back to the hotel for some dinner at Dukes. We didn’t get a patio seat though, and found that the “inside dining experience” really wasn’t worth the price.
Hawaii Tip #2: Get an outside table at Dukes.
Hawaii Tip #3: Get your essentials at Wal-Mart

Day 2 (Wednesday):
A friend of mine from PwC let me in on a little Hawaiian secret- - the Swap meet. It is on Wednesday & Saturdays from 7am-3pm at the Stadium. I started out the day by bounding out of bed bright and early –( why can’t I ever bound out of bed for work ?)—enjoyed breakfast on the balcony, and woke up the lazies! At 7am we were off to the swap meet. It was everything I’d hope for and more. Racks of Hawaiian Shirts, shell jewelry, homemade soaps and muumuu’s (just for moms). Sean told us we had to be done by 9am to get to Hanama Bay before the crowd- and we were done, at 9am on the dot. We drove to Hanama Bay--- and found that the parking lot was full, and it was an hour wait to get in. Sean was FUMING mad at us for shopping for so long – so we decided to come back the next day. We stopped at the grocery store and had sushi and spam for lunch. Ummm,,,, eating like the locals! Next we headed back to the hotel & laid on the beach for a while. Nothing like a relaxing Hawaiian vacation. For dinner we headed to Cheesecake factory, which was right next to the hotel. The Cheesecake factory is by far my favorite restaurant ever! I love the décor, service, menu & especially the desserts. Sean & I shared the new crazy layer cake and Patience got her very own Godiva brownie Sundae! NEVER skip out on dessert at the Cheesecake factory—life is just too short.

Hawaii Tip #4: Get to Hanama bay bright and early! (before 9am)
Hawaii Tip #5: Taste the local cuisine!
Hawaii Tip #6: Don’t miss the swap meet.
Hawaii Tip #7: Save room for Dessert--- you’re on vacation!


Day 3 (Thursday):
Today we got picked up by Betina’s old BYU friend Mylie & her family. She married a really cool Hawaiian surfer dude, and they took us canoe surfing on Waikiki! It was really fun, and something we never would have done alone! Afterwards we went to lunch with them and made our way back to the hotel around 2pm.

Just enough time for Sean’s nap, and for Eve & Patience to go to the Mall. Yes- that’s right, more retail therapy! Just our luck, Nordstrom’s rack was right there! Ohh!!! I looked at purses, as I am dying for a large black leather hobo type bag. I found a few that were nice… but I just couldn’t justify the purchase. I’m really trying to not give into my every material desire, as I need to save for a house. Patience, on the other hand, bought herself a really cute wallet, upon my persuasion of course J. After shopping we went to the movies and saw a chick flick—obviously not a memorable one though, as I cannot remember the title!

Sean met up with us after the flick, and we had dinner at Bucca De Peppa. We lucked out and were seated on the Patio. There is nothing like eating outside in the tropics. I think that if I lived in Hawaii, I would just have a picnic table outside instead of an inside table- I would hate to waste the weather & the view..

I love Bucca!! Our service was a little mixed up, as they brought the main course out before the salad.. .but no worries, they gave us dessert for free so all was well. Plus the waiter was a cute surfer kid- and he and Patience had a little flirting fest. It was so cute to watch,,, ahhh, to be young again J



Day 4 (Friday):
Another bright and early morning, enjoying the view. There is nothing quite like waking up to the ocean breeze & a clear blue sky. I think I was an island child in another life. We woke up and hit Hanama Bay first thing. We got there in plenty of time- watched the required video and hit the water. It was raining though, so it took some courage to go on, but it was well worth it. This was my first time snorkeling on a coral reef- and it was amazing to see all of the coral! We swam way far out, and it started raining hard on us! It was warm in the water though- and the fish were SO BEAUTIFUL. I think that snorkeling is by far my favorite thing to do on tropical vacations. Its free, fun, relaxing, and even a little bit exciting. I got myself caught in the reef- and my heart did start to pound a little. That is until I squealed for help and my seamy Sean came to the rescue. I think patience needed a little rescuing herself as well.

After the bay we hit the hotel, showered up and made our way to the other side of the island to the PCC (Polynesian Cultural Center). I have heard a lot about this place, so my expectations were high. A little too high though as I wasn’t overly impressed with it- With the price tag the size of Disneyland, I expected a little more glam & glitter. Perhaps it’s because I’m basically Tahitian, so I know what real island dancing and culture feels like. There is nothing quite like the real thing.

The Luau was fun. I mean, you are In Hawaii, you must go to a Luau--- but it’s still just an all you can eat buffet with large quantities of average food.
Hawaii Tip #7: Go Snorkeling as Much as Possible!


Day 6- (Saturday):

Today we went back to the swap meet in the morning. I decided that all my Christmas gifts for people this year would be from Hawaii! Christmas in Hawaii--- (except, it will really be in Slave Lake!) Patience bought a bunch of stuff too- Vacations really are for shopping, as you have all the time in the world to look around!

At 10am we parted ways as Patience took the PCC shuttle back to the north side of the island to go to the temple (which is really pretty), while Sean & I drove out to Waimea Bay for more snorkeling. This beach was absolutely amazing. I wish I had pictures, but paranoid Sean wouldn’t let me take the camera out of the car. Sometimes I hate that he is a cop—he is super paranoid about Everyone!! Waimea Beach is where the local teens hang out. There was a HUGE rock that all of the local kids were jumping off of. It looked like so much fun—and I’m sure if I were still btwn the ages of 14-23 I would have been right there with them. However, as I am married to a geezer- I laid out and snorkeled instead. The snorkeling was even better here, as there was no one else doing it! The reefs were still alive and stalk full of those Sea- Urchins!! We even saw a giant sea turtle, and swam around with it for a good 15 minutes. It was the coolest thing ever (except swimming with Stingrays in Tahiti of course). I really loved Waimae Bay- probably my favorite place on Oahu!

For dinner Sean & I went back to Buca De Peppa. IT was just so good the first time, that we had to go back. Plus we had a $10 off coupon from the night before. We even ordered the same food- Macaroni dish, pizza & berry shortcake, which was quite possibly the richest, most deluxe fruity dessert I’ve ever had. I usually don’t classify something as a “dessert” unless it involves multiple layers of chocolate, however, this cake has changed my mind. When at Bucca, order the Berry shortcake- its delicious!

Hawaii Tip #8: Go Snorkeling at Waimea Bay.

Day 7 (Sunday):
I let the lazies sleep in this morning, while I took a nice long stroll on the beach, and the read my trashy chic lit on the beach chairs. The beach is SO relaxing in the morning, with very few people out, calm waters and a beautiful sky. Breathtaking!! Around 9am, I woke S&P up, and we headed to the chapel. We got a little lost on the way, but found our way after a quick phone call to Dave. (Trusty Dave- he would answer his cell phone at a funeral)! The speaker was really boring! The old Hawaiian ladies sitting behind us were cackling him- it was so funny. Why is it in America we never say what we really think (without getting ourselves into trouble)? It seems like Europeans, Hawaiians, and Thais are so much more honest.

After church we did my favorite thing ever- Sunday Brunch at the Cheesecake Factory! I only ever get to do Sunday brunch when I am on vacation, usually with Iris. I love brunch…. If you have time for a lazy brunch, you know the day is going to be a good day! We lightened up today and skipped dessert though—it was after all only 11am.

Next we hit up the beach for a quick hour, and then Sean took a nap. That Man LOVES his naps. I am not a napper. I just don’t wake up refreshed, rather, I wake up extremely grumpy and even more tired than before. I’d rather just not nap and go to bed earlier. After Sean woke up (upon my prodding), we headed to the movies! Self- Great Day! We saw the new M Knight Shalaman movie. A really weird story, good acting—but just a bad story. And, who knew M. Knight Shalaman is Indian? And a hottie at that!! At least I had some eye candy for a couple of hours.

After the flick, we dropped Patience off at the airport, and headed to back to the cheesecake factory one last time. Not famished, and feeling guilty after a week of indulgences, we both got appetizer salads- which are sooo tasty, healthy and cheap too! I think I’ll get one sometime again soon.

3 comments:

iris said...

I love the tips! Thanks for finally filling us all in on your trip! Never would have pegged Sean as a napper

Betina said...

I love naps.

Anonymous said...

I dont know about california or hawaii, but where Im from "hobos" dont carry "large black leather bags" from nordstroms:)