Thursday, September 28, 2006

London- Sept 23-29 2006

Another fantastic business trip to London with my good friend Deepy :)

Saturday (10/25)- We got to the airport and was offered a free round trip ticket to anywhere Virgin flies and a free night hotel in SF if I would leave the following day (Sunday). Unfortunately my new boss was not comfortable doing this, so we had to say no. Why is it that I can never actually take advantage when these flight offers come my way? There always seems to be some reason why I cannot do it. Anyhow- Virgin seats are tiny. The tiniest you have ever seen. I’m certain they have weight restrictions of the passengers, and anyone over 200lbs cannot board. Seriously, they just would not physically fit into the seat, and I highly doubt they have seatbelt extenders either.

We finally got to our hotel around 2:30pm Sunday afternoon- and let me tell you, this is a Great hotel, with a balcony view of Hyde Park. Amazing. Beyond this job, I cannot foresee myself ever being able to stay at such a nice place again. One great perk to being an accountant is all of the business trips, fancy hotels and restaurants that I’ve enjoyed. I’m sure in my next career as a hair stylist I will miss it dearly.

We went for a stroll down to Leichester square. This place has the most amazing gelato ever. I didn’t have any however, as I was sadly stuffed full from a late lunch at the hotel. If only I’d know that ice-cream was near, I never would have touched the pizza! I bought a few cute London souvenirs for my fam- and we walked all the way back to Hyde Park. We hung out there until dark listening to all of the religious/political ranters at Speakers Corner. It was actually really fun! It is so interesting to listen to the passion that people have about their religion, values and worship.

Monday (9/25): Today we woke up & took the train to Maidenhead. Nothing eventful in Maidenhead, just a means to an end--- my method of getting to this glorious city (London)! We headed back to London at 6pm, and picked up theatre tickets to see “Chicago” starring Ashley Simpson as Roxy!! The show was actually downgraded to a smaller theatre and tickets were only $50 (USD)… not back for London theatre. Im super excited to see a real live Simpson… even if it is only Ashley. I am actually excited to hear her sing live—I wonder if she really sucks as much as they say she does.

We got back to the hotel around 6:30pm- had a snack in the “Executive Lounge” (which is a Great Perk of corporate travel), and then I hit the gym. To my dismay there was nothing to set my magazine for reading while on the treadmill. So sad!! I haven’t read my mags for a couple of weeks, as I was saving them up for London, as I new the treadmill was awaiting. Its usually to hard to get outside to run while traveling, as I have no sense of direction, and I will inevitably get lost… (when I was in Salzburg me and my friend ran to a different town… although we didn’t know it, and no one that was up at 5:30am knew English, French or Spanish---so we end up being 2 hrs late for class!! It took us a while to figure things out)

Monday night we went to NOBU. This is the Hip sushi restaurant that all of the Hollywood celebs go to. Beyonce and J-Z were there on the weekend---- so my hopes were high to have a celebrity sighting. Atlas, I have terrible luck, and I never see celebrities even though I stalk them down like a crazy person. The sushi was the best I’ve ever had- it was so fresh and not fishy tasting at all. And we have my favorite chocolate soufflé for dessert--- yum! The décor was awesome---oozing with coolness as Betina would put it.

Tuesday (9/25): This morning I woke up early to work out. I haven’t done this since I started my job at Tibco, because I actually really hate it. It makes me hungry and sweaty all day long. The reason being is there is just too much to do in London to waste away my evenings in the gym.

After work I roamed the shops on Oxford Street. I only bought some chocolate as the dollar does not go very far in London. For Dinner we went to Bentleys, a 100 yr old Seafood Restaurant. The menu was very limited, but the food was delicious. I got king prawns- my favorite seafood dish. We sat beside an older English couple. They were extremely proper- dripping with wealth. They actually started to talk to us after we’d both witnessed a lover’s quarrel in the restaurant. This girl hit the boy and walked out, then she came back to find that the boy had left her, and she ran out in a frenzy. It felt like a scene from the movies.

Wednesday (9/26): In the evening on Wednesday we went to the theatre- another of my London favorites! We saw the Chicago production starring Ashlee Simpson as “Roxy”. This was defiantly the highlight of the trip. I was a little skeptical as she has had a few blunders in her live performances (SNL, NFL), but I must say we were both impressed. She is so skinny and pretty! And she actually has a good voice- an alto—but good none the less. Her stage movements were fantastic, and she was really funny! She played the part of Roxy very well. This is her first week in the show and her family is in town watching her. Her mom was in the stalls with another older lady. Seriously, this show is awesome! We rented binoculars so we could see up close (although the theatre was quite small). She was soooo Great!! I don’t have enough good things to say about it. Great music, awesome dancing, great costumes, sexy men dancing- fantastic! Chicago is a must see!!

After the show we asked the security if we could go back stage. They said no, but told us where she exists. We stalked the back “stage door” with about 40 other people. If it was in LA there would be hundreds- so it was quite nice. We waited for about ½ hr and then she came out! She was really nice and signed autographs, smiled for the cameras and said hi to people. She’s really pretty, gracious, and the girl has talent. This made my Trip!! (Lets be honest, it actually made my year). We KNEW she was going to dinner afterwards- but we didn’t know where. So unfair bc for once we can actually afford to eat where she’s eating J



Thursday (9/27): Ill give you another update if anything cool happens tonight- I just really HAD to post this blog early as I was so excited about Ashlee Simpson (I’m such a celebrity obsessed stalker- I know). At least I have good friends to join me in the quest.

Tonight we are going to a new “It” restaurant called Spoon. At least, that is what the concierge at the hotel tells us, and he hasn’t led us astray yet. Maybe if we’re lucky, we’ll run into the Simpson clan while we’re out tonight!


XOXO

Eve



PS
- I have my triathlon on Saturday, the morning after I return. I’m really hoping the jet leg doesn’t affect me too much and that I can perform like a Rockstar. Well, actually I’m just hoping to finish somewhere in the middle. I am getting really nervous bc I am here in London and therefore not training as much as I’d like to this week. Although I have heard that week before a race you shouldn’t push yourself too hard, so maybe my daily trips to the hotel gym will be ok. Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

iris said...

I heard she was lip syncing to Rene Zellweger's voice from the movie.

iris said...

Haha, I just found this! HAHAHA!!!
http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2006/09/the_name_on_eve.html

Patience said...

Eve- how did the triathlon go? I bet you kicked butt. Blog about it, blog about it!

xoxo pp

Betina said...

I love how you capitalize Dinner. Food should always be given it's proper recognition.

Blog about the triathalon! Know you did great since you trained like a maniac!