Monday, August 03, 2009

Bunny Art


You might be wondering why i am blogging so often as of late. It's because I've turned into an insomniac. I seriously CANNOT sleep!! I used to fall asleep in 10 mintues, and I could sleep for 8-9 hrs at a time... not anymore my friends. Same thing happened to Betina when she was with child- I hope it goes away soon. But in the meantime, I may as well do something useful like Blogging.

So, this is my first purchase for my baby room. I use the term "room" loosely, as its actually a baby corner. A corner carved out of my living room dedicated to future baby. Lucky kid, eh, imagine, and entire corner!

This is a set a prints that I bought off of my most talented baby sister Celeste (aka bunny). Shes in Art School in Nova Scotia Canada, and she is very talented. I dont like hanging up store bought prints on my walls. I like Art to be meaningful, and mass producted IKEA prints just dont cut it.

Instead of paying up the wazooo for custom frames (as they are not standard picture sizes), I just bought some frames with Large matting from target for $60, and cut the matts myself. Granted its far from a professional job, but i think it still looks pretty good. Im super excited to hang these babies up, thanks bunny! (on a side note bunny dearest, i'd REally LOVE a series of your faries in pastels, pretty please!!)

In case you're ever trying to matt a picture yourself... the trick is to use a really good and sharp exacto knife. My first try (ABOVE) was with the standard one out of our tool kit.. it was ok, but i had to re-cut several times- you can see the wobbly line on the RHS above. My second try I pulled out "the shark" that Sean got for christmas from my mom.. its AMAZING. I highly recommend the SHARK for all matting needs. Just dont let the kiddies get at it! (i used the SHARK for the following 2 matts, which turned out much better).




So, what do you think of my sister's artwork???? Shes a starving art student, so if you wanna buy anything from her i can hook you up with her info :) Plug Plug.

2 comments:

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

Those are pretty cool. I like them. The baby will definitely stare at them for hourse. Very colorful.

Betina said...

You can buy a mat cutter that does a professional looking job for not too much, if you are going to be doing a lot of your own matting. My friend has one and I use hers.