So here's the story on my job
SO, on a whim about a month ago I applied for an accounting job online. I really didn't expect to hear anything from them, but the very next day I got a phone call to come in for an interview, which I did the very next day. It was a cool company, cool vibe, free lunch, nice building, plus I know a few people that work there in non accounting functions, and they absolutely love it. So, I was pretty stoked that my interview when so well. It was 3 hours long and I met with 3 different groups of people. I got an offer later on the same day, and I told them I'd think about it over the weekend. Monday rolled around and I called them and said I could work part time, 3 days a week for a certain amount of money. They discussed it internally and agreed that it would work, yippeee!
SO, my first day comes around and I found pants that actually fit me. (They were work pants that I purchased after I had dixie, not pre preggo preggo). I was excited to get dressed for the day in banana republic dress pants vs. Gap stretchy pants! Anyhooo, the day was pretty typical for a first day. Lots of HR forms, meeting people, computer access ect ect. However throughout the day there were numerous red flags that this maybe wasn't the best fit for me as a mom, supposedly working part time. As I met people they found out what roll I was taking on (inventory accounting), and they all said they were "sorry for me". They were mostly joking, but we all know that behind every joke is at least some truth. One lady in particular was not joking, or at least did not appear to be. No one in the office could train me for the roll I was taking over, as no one was cross trained, and there were absolutely no documented processes, narratives or the like. Much different that a public company that is for sure. I tried to piece things together and found that the files were a absolute mess. No formal processes, No Policies, No standardization, No paper trail. It seemed more like everyone was cleaning up mistakes vs. booking real entries. So from an accounting standpoint, it was a total disaster, one that would take significant overtime to clean up. And speaking of overtime, the accounting team worked mad hours. Seriously for 2 weeks every month they stayed until midnight. No joke. They expected me to do the same, even though I was formally hired as part time. So really they wanted me to squeeze in 45hrs into 3 days, which is technically full time, but only pay me for part time. WTF, right?!?
So, I saw the writing on the wall, and realized very quickly that this was not the gig for me. This might have been for me when I was fresh out of college, with no family commitments, and eager to make my way in the corporate world, but not with 2 girls aged 1 & 2, and a husband that works out of town half the month.
So, sufficed to say, I emailed my boss that night, and resigned. I feel really good about it, as I know I would have been miserable working all of those hours.
I think I might look into doing bookkeeping for small companies or sole proprietors from my home. I need to research it a bit first and see if it would fit me, and its really just a thought for now.
So, now Im back home enjoying life with my girlies, which I actually appreciate so much more after being away from them for just one day. They are just the cutest little darlings ever, and they really need me right now, so here I will stay for now :)
2 comments:
straight up crazy that they wanted you to work that much as a part time employee!
That is INSANE. I would have been so mad and felt deceived! Good for you for have the foresight and considering your family to know to resign right away!
Sarah
the Reverie blog
Post a Comment