Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sunday Calling

Oh the trials of my life. I am not a big phone talker- ever since I starting working at the SL Family Clinic in 11th grade and had to answer an off the hook phone.. I have developed an aversion to the phone. I am a very straight to the point type of person, and if I see you on a daily basis, you probably wont ever get a call from me just to “chat”.

The phone is a communication tool for making plans. Figuring out where to meet up, inform one if you are running late, or get a great suggestion for a movie or restaurant. This is the beauty of a cell phone. You are usually on a cell phone while on the road, driving from point A to Point B, and it is very easy to end a conversation in a polite manner when you’ve reached your destination. There is no chance that the call is going to last longer than 20 minutes.

Work Day Calling
At the end of a busy work day I am so pooped, I just don’t have the energy for chatter. I just want to work out, take a shower, eat, and go to sleep watching the Tyra Banks show. This said, the only person who really calls me during the week is my Dad, and I usually always answer his calls, as I know they will last from 2-5 minutes in duration, and the call will have a purpose. In fact, I LOVe my dad’s phone calls. They really crack me up. He hasn’t called me yet this week, and I actually miss his calls. Usually I get a call from him At least every other day---- but this is all besides the point.

Unknown Callers
I really only answer the phone if I know who is calling. I don’t answer “unknown numbers” and I defiantly don’t answer any calls from numbers within my area code (650), as the only people who live in my area are church members…. And I’d really rather not have to give a talk or say a prayer in church. I’d rather just listen to the message and then decide how to respond. Live Phone calls of such nature are so stressful to me, as they require an instantaneous response…which generally is in the form of an awkward “Yes, I’d Love To” when really, you were planning on having a church holiday that week. The beauty of an answering machine you have time to think up a good excuse to say no. I’m a terrible person, I know.

Sunday Afternoons
There are very specific times when I feel like a lengthy chat, including waiting at the Airport to Board a flight and Sunday afternoons. So, for anyone who might call me during the week… I’m probably not home or trying to relax after work, so please accept my apologies for not returning your call the same day. However, I will always call you back on the weekend. Weekends are good for me. There is nothing better then talking to my long distant friends and family on a Sunday afternoon. The irony here is that, I think that for many of the people I call , Sunday afternoons are for spending time with your family, or taking a long nap. To my dismay, I often get the answering machine of others when making my Sunday calls, and am left to my own devices to stay entertained with no husband (inevitably at work or in class), no family dinners, and no friends within walking/driving distance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

see for me,mondays are the best time to call me, because I have only 1 child with me, and I am not spending the day in the bathroom with a screaming 3 yr old, like every other day.
serinda

Eve said...

oh dear serinda minnie--- this potty thing does not sound easy at all!!! i think i will just adopt 4 year olds that already have that down :)