Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Minneapolis-
Last week I had the opportunity to go the Minneapolis Minnesota for a few days for work. I was totally dreading the trip, as it is not a “hot spot”- I thought of it as a hole in the Midwest. My friends- I was wrong. Minneapolis is a very clean, spacious city with great shopping, restaurants, lots of parking, very friendly people and its cold and crisp, just like home. Plus it has the Great Mall, which reminded me of a brand spanking new West Edmonton Mall.

I felt totally at home in the city. People look you in the eye and smile, the cashiers make friendly small talk, and people are genuine. I think I am getting tired of California. Don’t get me wrong, I love the weather, my job, the mountains, the beach, cheap mani/pedis and fresh produce- but I found that I no longer look people in the eye and smile anymore. I think I may have turned into one of them when I wasn’t paying attention- a road raging, inpatient shop-o-holic that needs instant service at my every whim.

I am really missing the small town feeling- where everyone knows you (or of you), you can walk alone after dark without fear of getting shot, and you can go to the mall and not have to stalk people for a parking spot.

Today, I miss being in Canada.

6 comments:

p said...

did you know that the mall is owned by the ghermezians?

p said...

the one in minneapolis i mean.

iris said...

They own both, WEM and the MOA. Weird hey?

I am glad you miss Canada. It is good to know that somewhere in that California blood is the girl that would torture me with walks in the cold.

Canada misses you too Eve.

Betina said...

Small towns are a great place to raise kids. Keep this in mind when the 5-year plan is waxing to a close.

But there are no cheap mani pedis, at least not in my town.

Patience said...

the other day i let a man into my lane because the traffic was horrible, and get this- he rolled down his window and waved to me. it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. oh canada!

Anonymous said...

Hello Eve,
I read your sister Betina's blog and I linked to yours. Reading how you miss Canada made me miss it too. I'm originally from Southern Manitoba and now live in the East Bay of California. Moving from small town farm to 7-million-people-in-one-place was not my idea, but rather where my husband of three years asked me to live.

Someone told me that homesickness starts to go away after about two years, but for me it has lingered much longer. My family sometimes laugh when I call supper dinner. And my friends here in California marvel at my Canadian language. Such as: garbage instead of trash, and pylon instead of orange cone.

So really, I don't belong in either place that much anymore. And the only thing that is wonderful about being in Castro Valley is my beautiful daughter and devoted husband. (Ok, all the friends too).

Oh yes... and the cheap mani/pedies.

My goal? To change all grumpy, stessed out Californians into a Friendly Manitobans. I dream big.

Nice to read your blog. Thanks