Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cutting out the Fat

I did something totally impulsive today that im afraid I will regret tomorrow... especially tomorrow since Sean will be working and I'll probably be sitting at home all day with Dixie...

Anyhoo, in order to cut expenses due to my new job as a stay at home mom, I cancelled our cable tv. It was costing $67 a month which is roughly $800 a year, and since I am currently making $0 a year, cuts need to be made! This is the first of many. I am sad... I have absolutely loved having cable over the last year- probably too much. Im sure i will get a lot more cleaning, reading, and QT with Dixie mae in, so this is actually a good thing. But that doesnt mean i wont be going through withdrawal symptoms for the next month. I'll probably get the shakes and start vomiting shortly! The shows I will miss most are ( and please dont judge me based on this list)

House Hunters (HGTV)
Property Virgins (HGTV)
The Kardashians (E!)
Real Housewives of Orange County (E!)
Shear Genius (Bravo)
Millionaire Matchmaker (Bravo)
16 and pregnant (MTV)
Teen Mom (MTV)

Sean absolutely hates the tv that i watch.... but whatever. What are your favorite shows? And What have you cut out of your life in an effort to cut expenses? I need some ideas!

XOXO
Eve

6 comments:

Molly said...

We actually bought a MacMini to hook up to our TV and we got rid of cable (which was also costing us $70 a month). Now we watch our favorite shows online plus we use the TV as a computer, which ended up being a good thing--our laptop started having problems soon after.

Also, I've cut way back on my "allowance" spending. In part because I'm no longer buying lunch at Stanford--I've been better about making dinner and having leftovers to take for lunch.

Anonymous said...

Eve some of those are on my list too. HGTV, 16 and pregnant - which I just discovered. And I guilty-ly watch the Housewives of Atlanta.

We are taking the insurance off of one car. I also want to cut cable, but Keith does not. Also I think Mina would disown me if I did.
serinda

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

I think that you are probably already doing the 2 things we cut, but we don't have TV at all. Also Rob cuts his and Sam's hair (I help) so that is a chunk of money too.

Betina said...

I stick to a cash budget, very religiously. I shop at discount grocery stores for the main stuff and I buy kids clothes at Thrift stores.

What else....

No cable

Limited fun shopping (it helps that there are no stores where I live).


Staying home is worth it in the end... at least that's what I hear.

Rachel said...

What sacrifices do we make for me to stay at home?
We rarely eat out. I mean rarely. We only get a babysitter once a month at most, most dates are after the kids are asleep.
I signed up for a service ($5 a month) that tells me when to buy certain foods and what coupons to use. I'm not a coupon clipper, but this lady makes it SO easy, I've ended up saving between $70 and $100 a month on groceries without even trying.
I cut Lane's hair (easy for you!)
It's totally worth it. You've done the hardest thing (I think) -- cutting cable. I STILL have been unable to do that, although it's looming seeing as we just bought a new house.

iris said...

Eve, learn how to download tv - you will never need cable again! Plus, you won't be super annoyed by all the commercials.