Monday, June 29, 2009

My Rockstar Moment

So this weekend was one of my most fantastic weekends ever! I met up with all 5 of my sisters (Betina, Serinda, Patience, Nawana & Celeste) in the beautiful, clean city of Seattle. We all travelled there from different places to run the First Ever Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon. After becoming pregnant 4 months ago my ability to run has been greatly hampered by several factors namely exhausting, nausea and cramps. So I decided about a month ago that I was just going to Cheer them on, but not to race. In fact, in the last 2 months I have been on one 5 mile run, and that is it. Running had just become far to tiresome and uncomfortable. Besides that I have been swimming a couple of times, and to spin class a couple of times, but in all honestly, I’ve been a complete lazy ass.

So, in packing for Seattle I brought my gym clothes including shoes, shorts & sports bra, but not my running specific items (sunglasses, hat, fuel belt), as I was only planning on going to the gym. But Im not going to lie… in my heart of hearts, I really did want to run the race.

We got to the expo on Friday to pick up our race packets…. and I got a little caught up in the race excitement and I too picked up my number and purchased a new fuel belt and visor just in case I changed my mind about racing on Friday morning. From that point, my fate was sealed…. I was running that damn race, like it or lump it! My sisters also encouraged me to do it, and I was a little jelly that I wasn’t going to run with Poo and Nunu for their first ever race!

Saturday morning came along and I was ready. I was running the race! We all started out running together, and then Poo, the rockstar jetted out ahead of us at about mile 5. I was not going fast. I was taking it easy as I didn’t want to get any cramps, and I knew that I was pregnant and ill prepared for the race. I ran a nice easy jog pace, adding ½ hr onto my last half marathon time. We finished at 2 hrs 26 minutes-- And it was super super fun. I ran with nunu and betina the whole time, and we all crossed the finish line together! There was a point when betina and nawana were ahead of me, but I was so lonely behind them that I pulled out my old running legs and caught up to them just in time to finish the last mile together.

Even though this is the slowest I’ve ever run, it is the most proud finish I’ve ever had! Come one people, I am 4 months pregnant and have not been running! So… that’s my rockstar moment. Crossing the finish line and running the race with my sisters.

And a special thanks to Serinda and Celeste for being the best cheerleaders ever and taking care of baby Georgia while we ran. Go Team! Way to go Girls! I love you!


XOXO
Eve

2 comments:

Molly said...

That is awesome! Good job! You really are a rock star.

Betina said...

YOU ROCK!