Monday, May 07, 2012

my working woman anniversary 

So,, may 15 marks one year since i was a full time accountant by day and a mommy by night. I am somewhat filled with doom and gloom when i think about this. All my mad excel skillz totally going to waste. All my awesome email skills, presentation skills, research skills, totally unused and growing stale. I am very grateful to be in a position that i can stay at home with my babies.  I love them more than i can express. I love taking them fun places, I love making them giggle and watching them play, and i love being there to kiss their boo-boos and wipe their tears. I would miss out on a million moments if i was back at work right now, so yes, this is the right place for me to be (for now). Plus, i tried the working full time thing with Dixie and I just felt so guilty every single day at work, and I could no longer give 100% to my job, it was more like a watered down 70%, so that made me feel guilty on the flip side!

But, this doesn't mean i don't miss working. I love corporate life. I love spreadsheets. I love figuring out differences, I love acquisition accounting and I love a good project. Oh, I also love business lunches at fancy restaurants, and business travel to fun places.  (hello London with my bestie Harmandeep circa 2006!)

So, heres to the next few years staying at home until my babies are on school. I'm going to enjoy every second of them, as i know they will pass quickly.  I also know that im going to be an accounting dinosaur by the time they are ready for me to go back to work, so i might just have to work in a masters degree before I re-enter the work force. Hmmm... food for thought. Not sure if i can really handle being a student again?!? Decisions decisions!

Oh, and another thing.  As a mom, I am irreplaceable.  No one else can be Dixie and Lucy's mom.  As an accountant, I am completely replaceable. Anyone can take my job over.  This was made so apparent to me this last week.  The Controller of my former company (aka, my boss', boss', boss) was with the company just shy of 10 yrs.  I saw him on the day I gave my notice to my primary boss. I was going to say good bye to him too, but he seemed so incredibly stressed out, that I just didn't. It seriously looked like his head was going to burst.  He is normally, calm, cool and collected... but he wasnt that day.  About 2 weeks later, he had a major stroke. Thankfully, he has made a good recovery, he can walk and is not paralyzed, but his speech is very limited and he struggles to find words.  I called my boss last week to check in, and she let me know that he had been laid off. I was dumbfounded and heartbroken for him.  He has a family to support, he is such a nice guy, and he is/was amazing at his job.  However, the company's Board of directors really didn't care about his loyalty to the company, his past service, or his family. They just needed the job done and they found someone else to do it, that had a full vocabulary.  My heart literary sunk into my stomach when I found this out.  At the same time, I really for the first time realized that My job as a mom is way more important than whatever job I can get as an accountant. I am not replaceable to dixie and lucy. SO yes, this is where I need to be right now.

XO
Eve

3 comments:

Betina said...

It's a spectacular set of mental gymnastics to work though this working mom/stay at home mom thing. I get it.

Lindsey Heath said...

I love this post.Everything about it is so what I needed to read. I feel so human and like I am good at something when I am at work, not to mention I have friends who I love to see at work. Plus the added financial benefits, it is soooooo hard for me to just wave goodbye to it all. That being said, I LOVE your thoughts about being replaceable! So sad for your boss's boss's boss! Things like that make me feel like crying all day! Thanks Eve!!!

Lindsey Heath said...

I love this post.Everything about it is so what I needed to read. I feel so human and like I am good at something when I am at work, not to mention I have friends who I love to see at work. Plus the added financial benefits, it is soooooo hard for me to just wave goodbye to it all. That being said, I LOVE your thoughts about being replaceable! So sad for your boss's boss's boss! Things like that make me feel like crying all day! Thanks Eve!!!