
Cancun Mexico- August 2007
I just returned from an amazing vacation in Cancun Mexico. This vacation will probably sound a little lame as we spent 70% of the time at the pool or beach, but it was really just what the doctor ordered in the craziness of our lives.
Aug 3-4, 2007: Our first stop was in Utah to attend my dear friend Andrea’s wedding at the Mount Timpanegous Temple. I did her make up for the big day, and she looked beautiful! The day went very smoothly for her. I got a chance to talk to her dad and he is the cutest man ever! After the ceremony we went to Magelby’s restaurant in Provo for a lunch- where yummy chocolate cake was served.
Sunday Aug 5, 2007: Our flight to Cancun was on time and our luggage did not get lost between flight connections. I am also weary of connecting flights as I just don’t understand how they can unload all of the luggage and get it to the proper plane with such tight connecting schedules. One day I would like to work as a baggage handler so that I can learn the inner workings of the system. I had my very expensive professional make up kit in my suitcase so I was especially worried.
We checked into the Marriot Casa Maga and set up camp for the next 7 days of bliss. We paid a little extra for an ocean view, as last year we had a terrible view in Hawaii, and I decided that if I am going to a tropical location, I must wake up to the ocean every morning. It was worth every extra penny for the view. We even had a large balcony to hang out on and watch the ocean and the hotel pool.
Tropical Travel Lesson #1: Pay a little more for a great view
Monday Aug 6, 2007: Our first official day in Cancun was spent relaxing by the pool, frolicking in the pool and playing in the Ocean waves. We ordered diet cokes by the pool, I read my trashy chic lit, and Sean slept in the sun. It was so rejuvenating to finally have time to breathe!
In the afternoon we wandered over to the local market and got talked into going to a timeshare presentation in exchange for a free excursion to Tulum and Xel-Ha, a $120 value. My friend Harmandeep has been on these before in Cancun and swore it was a great way to get a free excursion in.. little did we know what would happen!
We worked out in the gym and ate at the Japanese/Thai restaurant in the Marriott. The food was amazing! Sean ordered this lime-coconut soup that was so delicious. He graciously shared it with me but was very protective over the chicken chunks and would only let me have one. Oh well… my sushi was especially delicious and luckily he hates sushi so I never have to share J.
Tuesday Aug 8, 2007: We went to the Time share presentation in the morning which lasted 2 hours. The property was totally ghetto and the guy, “Brandon” was the sleaziest salesman I have ever met. It was the longest 2 hours of my existence. In the end we had to tell him 100 times “No”, and he finally abandoned us with no transportation back to our hotel. We were both just really glad to get out of there alive! At least we had something funny to talk about for the rest of the day, and a free excursion.. Although, looking back it really wasn’t worth the pain.
We spend the rest of the day by the pool, and were so relieved to be back at the Casa Maga, where the service was amazing, and they really treated us like VIP’s the whole time. We ate dinner at the hotel’s steakhouse where I opted for salmon and Sean got a huge flank steak. I of course spilled my drink all over the table, because I am the messiest eater ever!
Tropical Travel Lesson #2: Don’t give in to shady Timeshare presentations! Pay your way!
Wednesday Aug 8, 2007: Today we went on the Xel-ha and Tulum excursion that we “paid” for with the 2 hour torture session previously mentioned. Tulum was first and it was amazing. It is the site of an ancient Mayan city, and it was on the most beautiful beach ever. It is amazing to see that something built millions of years ago still stands today. Construction really isn’t what it used to be, that’s for sure. Sean was feeling a little quezy in Tulum, but he was a trooper and made it through the ancient city without much trouble.
By the time we got to Xel-Ha, Sean was really sick. We were supposed to spend 4 hrs there snorkeling, and enjoying the outdoors, but due to the extremely hot temperature and Sean’s quezy stomach we had to call it a day early and paid a cabbie $70USD to get back to our hotel. So much for our “Free Excursion”. Lesson learned, nothing in life is free! Finally back at the hotel, I was a diligent wife and nursed Sean back to heath with Tylenol PM’s, Pepto Bismo, Grape Flavored Gatorade, a cold cloth for his forehead, and lots of love. Poor guy,, he slept the rest of the day away in the room- luckily we had the ocean view so he was still able to partially enjoy the Caribbean coast. For dinner I ordered pizza and cake from room service and had myself a little picnic on the balcony, reading my chic lit while Seany-sean slept.
Tropical Travel Lesson #3: You get what you pay for and nothing is free!
Tropical Travel Lesson #4: Bring basic medication with you- otherwise you’ll pay $10 for a miniature bottle of Pepto!

Thursday Aug 9, 2007: Sean was feeling much better today, so we had another day frolicking in the pool, walking on the beach and laying out ordering diet cokes and poolside lunch of pita bread and hummus. We couldn’t eat too much or we’d ruin our appetites for the Yummy Mexican dinner at the only restaurant outside of the Marriot that we ventured off to.
The Mexican restaurant was awesome, I got Tuna tacos and Sean got Chicken Mole- his favorite. We had a table right over the water- it was brilliant- I only wish we had room for dessert.
Friday Aug 10, 2007: Today we went on a Snorkel Adventure at a national park about 40 minutes from the hotel. It was beautiful, un-touched and in its natural state. We did 3 different snorkeling sessions at various locations around the reef, and we saw many colorful fishes, a stingray, giant squid and beautiful reef formations. I really Love Snorkeling- it’s my favorite thing to do in the ocean. They also served up an amazing Mexican Lunch of chicken tacos, rice, bread and watermelon- with an open bar for all you can drink diet cokes- yummy! This was by far my favorite part of the trip. Unfortunately, I didn’t listen to the tour guides advice to wear a t-shirt in the water. Rather, I thought my SPF 45 would suffice. I ended up with a terrible sunburn on my back, bum and thighs, as the sun’s powerful rays went right through the water and fried me like bacon. I was really sore when we got home at 5pm, so I jumped right into the hotel pool to cool off.
We were still pretty full from lunch so instead of dinner we walked across the street to McDonald’s for Caramel Ice cream sundaes- a common theme of our Cancun vacation.
Tropical Travel Lesson #5: Wear a t-shirt and board shorts when snorkeling for long periods of time. Sunscreen alone doesn’t cut it!
Saturday Aug 11, 2007: Our last day in Cancun- how Tragic. We figured there was no better way to finish it off then to lay by the pool, frolic in the water, walk on the beach and eat lots of yummy food. We also ventured off to the Market where I purchased 3 different necklace pendants- Amber, Turquoise and Rose Quartz. The rose quartz is my favorite; primarily because I talked the guy down from $90 to $35- I finally learned the art of bartering! We enjoyed our final Caramel Ice cream sundaes from McDonald’s J Oh yeah, the McDonalds at the Market overlooks the ocean! There are ocean side tables outside, so you can have dinner on the Ocean for the cost of a McDonalds Happy Meal.
For dinner our final night we ordered shrimp and chicken Quesada’s from Room service and ate them on our balcony overlooking the ocean. It was really a perfect way to end our perfect tropical vacation.
I just returned from an amazing vacation in Cancun Mexico. This vacation will probably sound a little lame as we spent 70% of the time at the pool or beach, but it was really just what the doctor ordered in the craziness of our lives.
Aug 3-4, 2007: Our first stop was in Utah to attend my dear friend Andrea’s wedding at the Mount Timpanegous Temple. I did her make up for the big day, and she looked beautiful! The day went very smoothly for her. I got a chance to talk to her dad and he is the cutest man ever! After the ceremony we went to Magelby’s restaurant in Provo for a lunch- where yummy chocolate cake was served.
Sunday Aug 5, 2007: Our flight to Cancun was on time and our luggage did not get lost between flight connections. I am also weary of connecting flights as I just don’t understand how they can unload all of the luggage and get it to the proper plane with such tight connecting schedules. One day I would like to work as a baggage handler so that I can learn the inner workings of the system. I had my very expensive professional make up kit in my suitcase so I was especially worried.
We checked into the Marriot Casa Maga and set up camp for the next 7 days of bliss. We paid a little extra for an ocean view, as last year we had a terrible view in Hawaii, and I decided that if I am going to a tropical location, I must wake up to the ocean every morning. It was worth every extra penny for the view. We even had a large balcony to hang out on and watch the ocean and the hotel pool.
Tropical Travel Lesson #1: Pay a little more for a great view

Monday Aug 6, 2007: Our first official day in Cancun was spent relaxing by the pool, frolicking in the pool and playing in the Ocean waves. We ordered diet cokes by the pool, I read my trashy chic lit, and Sean slept in the sun. It was so rejuvenating to finally have time to breathe!
In the afternoon we wandered over to the local market and got talked into going to a timeshare presentation in exchange for a free excursion to Tulum and Xel-Ha, a $120 value. My friend Harmandeep has been on these before in Cancun and swore it was a great way to get a free excursion in.. little did we know what would happen!
We worked out in the gym and ate at the Japanese/Thai restaurant in the Marriott. The food was amazing! Sean ordered this lime-coconut soup that was so delicious. He graciously shared it with me but was very protective over the chicken chunks and would only let me have one. Oh well… my sushi was especially delicious and luckily he hates sushi so I never have to share J.

Tuesday Aug 8, 2007: We went to the Time share presentation in the morning which lasted 2 hours. The property was totally ghetto and the guy, “Brandon” was the sleaziest salesman I have ever met. It was the longest 2 hours of my existence. In the end we had to tell him 100 times “No”, and he finally abandoned us with no transportation back to our hotel. We were both just really glad to get out of there alive! At least we had something funny to talk about for the rest of the day, and a free excursion.. Although, looking back it really wasn’t worth the pain.
We spend the rest of the day by the pool, and were so relieved to be back at the Casa Maga, where the service was amazing, and they really treated us like VIP’s the whole time. We ate dinner at the hotel’s steakhouse where I opted for salmon and Sean got a huge flank steak. I of course spilled my drink all over the table, because I am the messiest eater ever!
Tropical Travel Lesson #2: Don’t give in to shady Timeshare presentations! Pay your way!
Wednesday Aug 8, 2007: Today we went on the Xel-ha and Tulum excursion that we “paid” for with the 2 hour torture session previously mentioned. Tulum was first and it was amazing. It is the site of an ancient Mayan city, and it was on the most beautiful beach ever. It is amazing to see that something built millions of years ago still stands today. Construction really isn’t what it used to be, that’s for sure. Sean was feeling a little quezy in Tulum, but he was a trooper and made it through the ancient city without much trouble.
By the time we got to Xel-Ha, Sean was really sick. We were supposed to spend 4 hrs there snorkeling, and enjoying the outdoors, but due to the extremely hot temperature and Sean’s quezy stomach we had to call it a day early and paid a cabbie $70USD to get back to our hotel. So much for our “Free Excursion”. Lesson learned, nothing in life is free! Finally back at the hotel, I was a diligent wife and nursed Sean back to heath with Tylenol PM’s, Pepto Bismo, Grape Flavored Gatorade, a cold cloth for his forehead, and lots of love. Poor guy,, he slept the rest of the day away in the room- luckily we had the ocean view so he was still able to partially enjoy the Caribbean coast. For dinner I ordered pizza and cake from room service and had myself a little picnic on the balcony, reading my chic lit while Seany-sean slept.

Tropical Travel Lesson #3: You get what you pay for and nothing is free!
Tropical Travel Lesson #4: Bring basic medication with you- otherwise you’ll pay $10 for a miniature bottle of Pepto!

Thursday Aug 9, 2007: Sean was feeling much better today, so we had another day frolicking in the pool, walking on the beach and laying out ordering diet cokes and poolside lunch of pita bread and hummus. We couldn’t eat too much or we’d ruin our appetites for the Yummy Mexican dinner at the only restaurant outside of the Marriot that we ventured off to.
The Mexican restaurant was awesome, I got Tuna tacos and Sean got Chicken Mole- his favorite. We had a table right over the water- it was brilliant- I only wish we had room for dessert.
Friday Aug 10, 2007: Today we went on a Snorkel Adventure at a national park about 40 minutes from the hotel. It was beautiful, un-touched and in its natural state. We did 3 different snorkeling sessions at various locations around the reef, and we saw many colorful fishes, a stingray, giant squid and beautiful reef formations. I really Love Snorkeling- it’s my favorite thing to do in the ocean. They also served up an amazing Mexican Lunch of chicken tacos, rice, bread and watermelon- with an open bar for all you can drink diet cokes- yummy! This was by far my favorite part of the trip. Unfortunately, I didn’t listen to the tour guides advice to wear a t-shirt in the water. Rather, I thought my SPF 45 would suffice. I ended up with a terrible sunburn on my back, bum and thighs, as the sun’s powerful rays went right through the water and fried me like bacon. I was really sore when we got home at 5pm, so I jumped right into the hotel pool to cool off.
We were still pretty full from lunch so instead of dinner we walked across the street to McDonald’s for Caramel Ice cream sundaes- a common theme of our Cancun vacation.
Tropical Travel Lesson #5: Wear a t-shirt and board shorts when snorkeling for long periods of time. Sunscreen alone doesn’t cut it!
Saturday Aug 11, 2007: Our last day in Cancun- how Tragic. We figured there was no better way to finish it off then to lay by the pool, frolic in the water, walk on the beach and eat lots of yummy food. We also ventured off to the Market where I purchased 3 different necklace pendants- Amber, Turquoise and Rose Quartz. The rose quartz is my favorite; primarily because I talked the guy down from $90 to $35- I finally learned the art of bartering! We enjoyed our final Caramel Ice cream sundaes from McDonald’s J Oh yeah, the McDonalds at the Market overlooks the ocean! There are ocean side tables outside, so you can have dinner on the Ocean for the cost of a McDonalds Happy Meal.
For dinner our final night we ordered shrimp and chicken Quesada’s from Room service and ate them on our balcony overlooking the ocean. It was really a perfect way to end our perfect tropical vacation.
1 comment:
I'm so glad that you guys had a wonderful time!! Oh did I also mention how jealous I am!! Oh well I'd only look like a beach whale anyhow. Now come up here and visit us for 7 days!! Stress free and relaxing in SL! Ya right..Miss you
Danielle
Post a Comment